The professional and ethical codes of counselling require transparency about certifications, education, fees, limitations of counselling and limitations of confidentiality. I offer relevant information about practicalities of counselling on these pages. On various pages on my site you will find info on rates, locations, the necessary forms to fill, and the ethics code to which I adhere.
All of the above-mentioned information is intended to make sure that you, the client, can choose wisely and responsibly.
My Trainings, Certificates and Degrees
I am a Counselling Psychologist and credentialled Distance Counsellor. I obtained my master degree in Counselling psychology at the United States International University – Africa in Nairobi, Kenya in December 2015. This institution enjoys a dual accreditation from relevant bodies in both Kenya and the United States.
Since my graduation I have obtained certificates in:
- Psychological First Aid (PFA) and
- Skills for Psychological Recovery (SPR) (both at the US accredited Learning Center of the NTCSN
- Distance Counselling (accredited by CCE).
- Symptomatology and Treatment of Stress and Trauma at the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee
- Training until Level 3 in the Gottman Method for couples counselling
- Certification in Relational Life Therapy for couples counselling
I have also followed in-house trainings in trauma-related matters at
- the Kenya office of the Center for Victims of Torture,
- Faraja Cancer Care Center
- the Global Trauma Network.
Between 2014 and 2016 I did courses in transformational and spiritual psychology at the University for Philosophical Research in Los Angeles, as well as courses in Psychology and Gender Diversity at NorthCentral University. At both institutions I currently enjoy a “leave of absence”.
Any professional engagement in the mental health sector requires ongoing continued education. In 2017 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- Carl Jung: Jung Dream Workshop
- BACP Conference on “Identity: Can You tell Me Who I Am?”
- Foundations of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- Psychotherapy.net: “The Life & Work of Irvin Yalom”
- Continuation of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- APA Training: “Healing Thyself”
- APA Training on “Mindfulness”
- APA Training on “Record Keeping”
- APA Training on “TeleMental Health”
In 2018 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- In-house training on Suicide Prevention: Carey Kirk
- ACT and Trauma – PsychWire
- Psychotherapy.net: “Assessment and Intervention with Suicidal Clients”
In 2019 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- “Power Dynamics in Intimate and Sexual Relationships” by Marty Klein, organised by APA Continued Education
- Level 1 Gottmans Couples Method
- Level 2 Gottmans Couples Method
- Terry Real: “Foundations in Relational Life Therapy”
- Terry Real: “Working with Grandiosity”
- Terry Real: “Working with Men”
- Terry Real: “Grandiose Women and the Men that Love Them”
In 2020 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- Several courses as part of a series on “Soul Psychology”, provided by Thomas Moore
- Start of course in EMDR (interrupted due to Covid pandemic)
In 2021 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- Continuing course work as part of a series on “Soul Psychology”, provided by Thomas Moore
- Introductory course in Internal Family Systems
- Series of courses on “the architecture of the brain” and implications for counselling
- Seminar (online) on trauma, culture, and racism, at Webster University, Geneva
- A certifying, two-day course on Mindfulness in A Clinical Setting, provided by Pesi.co.uk, and facilitated by Debra Alvis, PhD
- Continuation of my EMDR training (interrupted due to covid-19 restrictions)
In 2022 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- Level 3, Gottman Method in Couples Counselling
- Gottman Method: Treating Infidelity & Trauma
In 2023 I completed the following trainings, courses and seminars:
- Relational Life Therapy; training at level 3 plus start of the Certification Process.
- Gottman Method: Handling Substance Abuse in Couples
In the past I was intensely involved with ManKind Project in South Africa, and with Tamboo, a training facility on the south coast of South Africa specialised in shamanism, mysticism, archetypal psychology, and holistic breath work. These engagements still inspire me.
I am a member of the Swiss Association for Counselling (SGfB)
I am also an International Affiliate of the American Psychological Association, and am a member of the US-based National Board for Certified Counselors.
I am a member of the American Counseling Association.
And finally: I am a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP); my membership number is 303857.